Partner, Commercial and Corporate Law Unit –with strong emphasis on cross-border deals including real estate investments, setup of new ventures and acquisitions.
- University of Montevideo, School of Law, J.D., 2006
- University of Montevideo, Master in Business Law, 2008.
- University of Montevideo, School of Law, Notary Public, 2009.
- Uruguay Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Center for International Legal Studies
« Back to Our Team
Federico Formento is partner at Fischer & Schickendantz (www.fs.com.uy), one of Uruguay’s leading law firms. Both an Attorney and a Notary Public, he manages the Commercial and Corporate Law Unit, advising multinationals and individual investors in commercial and industrial projects, real estate developments, acquisition of local companies and privatizations.
In his years as a corporate attorney, Federico has accumulated experience in a vast array of cross border deals, including:
- participating in the legal team which headed the most relevant asset recovery in the Uruguayan financial system: Bank Boston (current Banco Itáu), Banco Bilbao-Vizcaya/BBVA, and Citibank, 2003-2004;
- participated in the legal team which handled the M&A of the company Puerta del Sur S.A, company in charge of the building and maintenance of Uruguay´s International Airport: Aeropuerto Internacional de Carrasco, 2003-2004;
- managing the negotiation, drafting and execution of the commercial contracts and heading the structuring of its holding companies of Uruguay´s main foods-product manufactory: Canarias S.A, 2004-2008;
- negotiating and structuring the loan agreements with IDB and the off-taker for Uruguay´s central transportation hub: Gralado S.A., including negotiation with the Uruguayan Government, 2004-2009;
- negotiating, drafting and executing the commercial contracts for Uruguay´s main paint and resins exporter: Pinturas Industriales S.A., 2004-2009;
- structuring the due diligence and stock purchase agreements for Sherwin Williams’s acquisition of Pinturas Industriales, 2008;
- setting up the main contracts between the government and Uruguay´s main gas distributor: Acodike S.A., 2004-2009;
- advising Minera Aratirí (Zamin Farrous Group), the largest investment in Uruguayan history, 2011-2014;
- handling major Project Finance for TEYMA (Abengoa Group), Uruguay´s most important company in energy and infrastructures (including the largest wind mill plan and the first PPP in Uruguay), ongoing;
Federico graduated from the Universidad de Montevideo - School of Law in 2006. In 2008, he obtained a Master Degree in Business Law and in 2009 a Master Degree in Real Estate Law. Federico has lived abroad in Brazil, United States and Israel. His overseas work experience spans deals in the United States and most of South America. Federico is fluent in Spanish, English, Portuguese and French.
Federico has cooperated with major publications such as “Doing Business” (World Bank), “Consultor” (a Uruguayan business law magazine), among others. He was the first Uruguayan contributor for the British “Corporate Immigration Law Review”, published in more than 70 countries in the five continents. He has also collaborated with Kluwer, a major publication in commercial arbitration affairs.